Strictly Come Dancing events have become increasingly popular in recent years but it was former Austin Stacks Club Chairman, Aidan O’Connor, who first brought the phenomenon to the Kingdom back in 2011. Now in it’s 9th year Austin Stacks Strictly remains one of the biggest such events held anywhere in the country. Stacks Strictly has been part of the Festival of Kerry programme of events for several years now with the show (followed by disco til late) taking place on the Saturday night after the Rose of Tralee festival (this year Aug 31st) which is the traditional ‘locals’ night in Tralee.
Last Tuesday evening (August 6th) the Austin Stacks GAA club unveiled their Strictly dancing team for 2019. Fourteen couples will participate in this year’s Strictly Show in front of a live audience and a team of judges. Each dancer will pick a charity of their choice and a donation will be made to the charities of the winning couple. There will be two sets of winners on the night, the judge’s choice and the people’s choice.
This is an annual major fundraiser for the club with the money raised going towards ongoing pitch development works in Connolly Park and towards the juvenile & adult sections of the club. Austin Stacks GAA wishes to acknowledge the support of the local businesses, some of whom have been with us since 2011, for their ongoing commitment to the club, we are very appreciative.
Dancing guro Jackie O’ Mahoney is busy putting the dancers through their paces at the moment = here is this year’s list of competitors. Follow our FB events page ‘Stacks Strictly Come Dancing’ to receive up-to-date info on – how preparations are going, contestant bios, ticket info, etc
Best of luck to everyone – and see you all in the Festival Dome Saturday Aug 31st.
- Audrey Reidy (Cliona’s Foundation) & Tom Dillon (Tír na nÓg Foundation) – dance – the Paso Doble.
- Katelyn Griffin (Celsius Menswear) & Kyle Culloty (Clash Plumbing & Heating) – dance – the Lindy
- Catherine Mc Kivergan (Meadowlands Hotel) & John O’Callaghan (Leahy’s Pharmacy) – dance The Jive.
- Anne Marie Early (Terry’s Butchers) & TJ Cronin (Kirby’s Brogue Inn) – dance Free Style.
- Ciara Kelly (OCKT Accountants) & Nathan Flood (The Barber Tralee & Listowel) = dance Argentinian Tango.
- Stacey Mc Coy (Kellihers Mace) & Ger Breen (Coolstream Services) – dance – the Quick Step.
- Nela Budayova (Pat Buckley Yard Farm Ltd) & Sean Mc Elligott (Séan Ógs) – dance Contemporary.
- Emma Enright (Acorn Life) & Ger O’Shea (Ger’s Place) – dance the Cha Cha.
- Anne Marie Murphy (The Greyhound Bar) & Neil Mooney (Cúil Dídin Nursing Home) – dance The Rumba.
- Tara Dore (An Teach Bég) & Jonathan Lynch (Ocean’s Casino) – The Showdance.
- Katie Nagle (O’Flynn’s Interiors) & Eoin Muckian (Spa Garage) – Dance the Charleston.
- Kelly Anne Lynch (Revolution Dance School) & Mark Moloney (Jim Finucane Auctioneers) – Dance the American Jive.
- Lauren Murphy (New Yorkers) & Timmy Dowd (The Rose Hotel) – Dance the Salsa.
- Pat Turner (ABC Cleaning) & Sammy Locke (Garvey’s Super Valu) – dance the Viennese Waltz
Photographs compliments of Adrienne Mc Loughlin: